“A wonderful dancer yet afraid of stage,
A pretty girl who hides her face from camera,
An intelligent student who thinks she’s dumb,
An intense listener yet afraid to start the conversation,
Quite friendly and lovable yet shy
A girl who always admired other’s abilities without realizing……”
I have come across many talented people who are kept back from achieving their true potential just because they lack confidence or self esteem. There is a very fine line between confidence and self confidence. Humility is needed yet underestimating oneself can be very detrimental. So it is very important that you have faith in yourself .
This blog is dedicated to a dear friend of mine who actually suggested me this topic. I hope I can do justice to this and I’ll share some tips which can help you improve your self confidence.
Before that I’ll tell you what influences a person’s confidence. True that there is a genetic factor to it but more than that it depends on the social settings (how people/society treat you) and the choices you make.
So how do you improve it?
1. Identify your strengths and weakness : Each and every one of us will be good at something and weak at something else. Do take sincere efforts to understand yourself and thus devote good amount of time to keep up your strength and improve your weakness. Accept and love yourself. If you don’t accept yourself how can you expect others to accept you? Doing SWOT analysis can help you better understand yourself. Always accept compliments and criticisms with the same grace, make them tools to improve yourself.
2. Face your fears : Understand that courage is not being without fears but learning to face your fear. If you are afraid of say, public speaking , then step out of your comfort zone and face that fear. More you speak in stage less will be your fear next time. So never fear your fears.
3. Gratitude : Be grateful and happy for all that you are blessed with. Just think of many who don’t have most of the things that you take for granted. Be grateful to have woken up as you have another day and another chance.Try maintaining a gratitude journal for the same
4. Help others : Helping others is the best way to help yourself. Doing something worthwhile for others can bring in a lot of contentment and self worth.We rise by lifting others. Try volunteering at some NGOs or join for Social service clubs like NSS. This can give you a lot of exposure thus boosting your confidence.
5. Avoid comparing with others : Uniqueness is what makes the world beautiful. No two person, no two Gene can exactly be the same. You are unique with unique talents and unique purpose. Never imitate or try to be someone else. Comparsion is a violence against the self and can even lead to depression. Quitting or reducing Social Media can help as we often tend to compare ourselves with others in these platforms.
6. Take risks : Uncertainty is quite natural. Only thing that is certain is uncertainty so be tolerent to uncertainty and embrace it with open arms. This can help you take greater risks in life. No enterprenour have been successful without taking risks.
7. Detach from success or failures : Take failures as opportunities to learn and never be afraid to fail . Thomas Edison’s teachers had said he was “too stupid to learn anything.” He was fired from his first two jobs for being “non-productive.” As an inventor, Edison made 1,000 unsuccessful attempts at inventing the light bulb.When a reporter asked, “How did it feel to fail 1,000 times?” He saidI have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work. Try to understand where you went wrong and try to rectify your mistakes.
8. Learn to say NO : Most people tend to say YES to everything even if they don’t want to. Don’t bother too much about what others might think or feel. Of course you don’t need to be rude but refuse politely. So it’s important that you live your life the way you want and this simple yet powerful word NO can make a huge difference in your self esteem as you are no longer dependent on others emotions.
9. Pamper yourself : Take out some time to do what you love and spend time with your loved ones. This can improve positivity. Studies have shown that exercise and meditation can be helpful in boosting confidence and how you feel about yourself.
10. Smile and radiate confidence : Make sure you stand tall and straight and don’t forget to smile.☺ This can also be used as a quick fix.
Quick fixes : Say, you have an exam after sometime or you have to speak in public ,how do you quickly make yourself confident?Try any of these: Take a deep breath, talk in front of mirror, close your eyes, listen to motivating music, be aware of your breath or at least force a smile.
“… A girl who always admired other’s abilities
Without realizing that she had them all
Decided that she’ll develop her confidence
She lived her dreams then on!